Picture frosty towpaths, crisp mornings and evenings spent curled up in front of a solid-fuel stove or a roaring fire in the canalside pub. Winter cruising suddenly becomes quite an attractive prospect. Throw in wonderfully quiet canals, friendly locals and a chance to get away from it all at a busy time of year and the appeal truly sets in.
Christmas cruising is becoming increasingly popular but we do have some availability left!
Here’s a round-up of some of our best options:
- Our base at Whittington Wharf on the Llangollen Canal in North Wales is offering 4 night breaks from Christmas Eve. Cruise from the wharf and enjoy a Christmas dinner in one of the local pubs. Fly across the famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and into the town of Llangollen to explore theshops before heading back to the base.
- Enjoy Christmas in the Cotswolds from our base at Bradford-on-Avon. Enjoy a quiet cruise through pretty countryside and farmland along the Kennet & Avon Canal. From our boatyard at Bradford-on-Avon it isonly a 6 hour cruise into the historic City of Bath, the ideal place for a spot of Christmas dinner, with a huge selection of pubs, bars and restaurants onoffer.
- Celebrate Christmas in Stratford-upon-Avon from our base at Wootton Wawen in the Heart of England! It is an active 5.5 hour cruise with plenty of locks to keep you warm on the way into Bancroft Basin in the centre of Stratford-upon-Avon from our base at Wootton Wawen. Enjoy the beautiful Christmas lights, join in with a carol service and visit one of the many traditional pubs on offer before returning to the boatyard.
- Visit the castle in wonderful Warwick! From our Stockton base it is a short cruise to the medieval town of Warwick. During this pleasant stretch of the Grand Union there are plenty of locks and pubs. Enough to keep the crew entertained until reaching Warwick itself. The castle is very much worth avisit at this time of year. With a 20ft Christmas tree waiting to greet you in the Great Hall- it’s not to be missed!
If you fancy doing New Year’s Eve a little differently this year, how about hiring a boat and visiting one of these destinations:
- Bring in the New Year in Birmingham- moor up in Gas Street Basin in the centre of the city and choose between countless clubs, bars andpubs all within a short walking distance. From our base at Tardebigge, Birmingham is only a short 5.5 hour cruise away. If you prefer something a little quieter, head away from the city and join the Stratford Canal for a real retreat.
- Celebrate the New Year in Chester! Easily accessible from our bases at Bunbury, Nantwich & Beeston on the Shropshire Union Canal, Chester has plenty to offer for a fun New Years Eve. With many bars, restaurants and pubs,this historic city has something for everyone to enjoy.
- Get away from it all from our Great Haywood base! With so many routes available from Great Haywood it is the ideal location for a New Year’s escape. Head off on the Trent & Mersey Canal or join the beautiful Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. Find a nice remote spot to moor up and bring in 2019 in peace!
To search for your perfect Christmas & New Year break, search: www.waterwaysholidays.com/canal_boat_holidays.htm
You can also give us a call on 01252 796400 to speak to our friendly boating team!