From hereon in Norbury Wharf will be known as “the Company” and the customer known as “the Hirer”.
1. Booking – The booking is confirmed when the deposit (20% of basic hire cost) or the full holiday value has been received by the Company. The
balance of the hire fee is payable six weeks before the commencement of the holiday.
2. Cancellation — Holiday cancellation must be notified to the Company by telephone and in writing. If the Hirer cancels
the booked holiday at any time or for any reason they will incur a cancellation charge of 20% of the value of the booking.
Late Cancellation charges: If the cancellation is notified to the Company any later than six weeks before the
commencement of the hire period the Hirer will be liable for the full value of the booking.
The Company will endeavour to re-let all or part of the cancelled booking and will reduce the amount of any late
cancellation charges by the amount of the re-lettings. If the Company is unsuccessful then the Hirer will remain liable for
the full value of the holiday.
Holiday Cancellation Protection Scheme is available.
3. Reduced Cruising Terms - British Waterways may impose stoppages at any time for maintenance purposes which are
beyond the control of the Company. This could restrict the extent of your proposed cruise but does not constitute
grounds for cancellation of your holiday or refunds of any kind.
4. Hirers —The Company will not hire a boat to anyone under the age of 18. No person under 18 may control a boat unless
under the direct supervision of a responsible adult. No boat may carry more persons than the licence permits. Please
telephone the Company before you book if there are any infirm or disabled persons in your group. The Company will
help where possible but practical considerations of the suitability of the boats and the waterways are beyond the
5. Company Reservation — The Company reserves the right to refuse to hand over a boat to any person who in the
Company’s opinion is not suitable to take charge of the boat. In this event the hire charge will be refunded in full and the
Hirer will have no further claim upon the Company. If, owing to circumstances beyond the Company’s control, we are
unable to provide the boat booked, or a suitable alternative, the Company will refund the full price of the holiday and the
Hirer shall have any further claim against the Company.
6. Hire Period — Boats may be collected from 3.00 p.m. on the start day and tuition will be given by a member of staff. Boats
must be returned to the base in a clean condition by 9.00 a.m. and vacated by 10.00 a.m. prompt. It is the Hirer’s
responsibility to ensure that sufficient time is allowed to return to the base on time. It is a condition of hire that boats are
returned to the boatyard at Norbury Junction. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the Hirer’s full deposit.
7. Fuels, Pump outs — The boat is handed over with a full diesel tank, full gas bottles and with the toilet holding tank
pumped out. This will normally suffice for a weeks cruising. Hirers are advised that additional fuels and pump-outs are
necessary on longer cruises. Any additional fuels or pump-outs required during the period of hire are the Hirer's
8. Damage Waiver/Damage Deposit – The Company gives the Hirer a choice of paying a Damage Waiver at the time of
making the booking, alternatively a Damage Deposit can be paid on the day of collection.
Damage Waiver – The accidental Damage Waiver is non refundable and does not cover damage arising from speeding,
contact with a lock cill causing damage to the rudder, skeg or stern gear, TV aerials, chimneys, malicious or intentional
damage to the boat, or to other boats and/or property, loss or damage of boat inventory and equipment. The late return
of a boat or the return of a boat in an unclean condition is not covered by the Damage Waiver. The Hirer will indemnify
the Company against all costs, damage, expenses, liability and claims howsoeverarising from the negligence, neglect or
default of the Hirer to the extent that they are not covered by the Company’s policy.
Damage Deposit — If the hirer decides to opt for the Damage Deposit this deposit is payable by cash or credit/debit card
upon collection and is required before the boat can be taken out from the boat yard. This deposit will be refunded in full
upon the boat being returned on time, undamaged, in a cleaned condition and with no damaged or missing equipment or
inventory. The damage deposit for Monarch/Sphynx/Ember is £1,000.00 unless the party comprises of mixed genders,
then the damage deposit is £500.00.
9. Repairs — Repairs are the responsibility of the Company and should not be put into the hands of a third party without
the managers authority.
10. Delays — The Company is not responsible or liable for damage or loss beyond our reasonable control including
(without limitation), death or personal injury of hirers, their crew and passengers: loss or damage to property: nonfulfilment
or interruption of the booking or delays: breakdowns; mechanical problems; defects; damage; restrictions or
obstructions; repairs or damage to waterways; non-availability of routes; navigational works; storms; floods; droughts;
ice; loss or shortage of water or other weather conditions; rationing; shortage or non-availability of fuel; or in respect of
any consequential loss, damage, expense, injury or claim.
11. Navigation and Accidents — The Hirer is responsible for the safe navigation of the boat and is expected to comply
with the relevant navigation bylaws, including those relating to speed and cruising after dark or in fog, which are
forbidden. A boaters handbook is available from our office and issued at the start of each hire period. The towing of other
boats or using tidal waters without consent is also forbidden. In the case of an accident you must notify the Company
immediately with full details including names and addresses of any witnesses and the name of any other boat involved.
In no circumstances should anyone admit liability. An accident form is included within the boat manual. If the Hirer is
involved in an accident which subsequently is the subject of an insurance claim, the Hirer will be liable to forfeit the full
12. Car Parking — Free car parking is provided for two vehicles, but the Company emphasises that they do not accept any
liability for loss or damage to vehicles or their contents, one set of keys to each vehicle being left on the Company’s
premises must be left at reception. The Hirer is particularly advised not to leave any valuable or readily portable items in
their vehicles. Property left on boats can only be returned after receipt of agreed postage and packing charges.
13. Pets — One well behaved pet is allowed. The Hirer must provide their own pet baskets, blankets and all equipment.
Pets must not be left unattended and are not allowed on bedding or furniture. In the case of damage being caused by the
Hirer’s pet they will be held responsible for the cost of repairing such damage.
14. Equipment — Use of the Hirer’s own electrical equipment on board is entirely at their own risk. The Hirer will be held
responsible for the cost of repairing any damage caused by such use.
15. Brochure and website —The Company tries to make the descriptions of the boats accurate but are not liable for minor
inaccuracies that may exist. Any maps, plans or drawings are not to scale.
16. Complaints — The Company operate to a high standard and would like the Hirer to relay any problems not noticed
upon collection of the vessel before departure from the yard, or arising during the holiday as soon as possible. This will
allow the Company to correct them immediately. To enable the Company to deal with any complaints efficiently, please
send details in writing to our office within seven days from the end of the cruise. The Company shall not be held
responsible or liable if you return the boat early due to the Hirer’s personal circumstances, weather conditions or
conditions of the waterways.
17. Fuel Surcharge — In the event of further increases in fuel tax, the Company reserves the right to impose a fuel
surcharge to cover the increased costs even after a booking has been made.